Monday, April 15, 2013

Ugg goes foragin

Okay, so everything I have read talks about the importance of wild caught sea food, leaner meats, and fresh produce.  For those doing this diet, you soon realize there is one major draw back to this dietary change - cost.

Let's face it fresh and quality food is more expensive than processed, frozen, or "quick and easy" meals that a lot of people gravitate to on a regular basis.  I blame the high stress jobs, long hours, fast food mentality's and simply put a lack of time to prepare a good meal.  Best advice - take the time to try.  Plan out some meals and cook them on an off day to have "pre-made" meals that you cooked.  It adds a new flavor and twist to a microwave meal.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox.  Back to the fresh food and where to get them at a reasonable price.  I found an international farmers market that was about 10 minutes from home.  The Nam Dae Mun farmers market completely surprised me and I look forward to going back next weekend.  Simply put, I was able to get a week's worth of proteins (pork chops, flank steak, chicken, scallops, crabs, and tilapia filet), vegetables (zucchini, onions, celery, garlic, bell peppers, cucumbers, spaghetti squash) and some fruits (papaya and a pineapple.  This impressive list was purchased for under 50 dollars.  Ladies and gentlemen, this is was you call a major win.  I like my Publix and occasional Kroger trips, but this place rocks.  If you are in the Gwinnett County area, check it out.  It'll be worth your while.  

No comments:

Post a Comment